Manual lenses with the Nikon 1 V1?
Everyone who is both a Nikon 1 V1 user and a manual lens fan is probably a little disappointed about the draw-back that Nikon has not implemented metering when using manual lenses on the Nikon 1 series!
It IS annoying and not really understandable. Shouldn’t be a problem to fix that, Nikon, do something!
For those who do not want to wait or have just given up hope (as I have) that Nikon changes that in a new firmware, there is a genious trick that helps you when shooting without an external lightmeter:
1. Adjust the metering mode to “M” in both the photo AND the film mode.
2. Mount the manual lens.
3. Turn the mode dial to “film”.
4. The display is no longer adaptive but shows the real lighting conditions.
5. Adjust aperture on the lens and shutter speed in the cam to correct parameters.
6. Turn the dial back to “photo”. (The parameters won’t change!)
7. Take the properly metered shot!
(Thanks to Veijo Vilva, Finland, for the idea!)